Monday, May 28, 2012

But...Why?

At the end of April, when I'm anxiously awaiting returning home for the summer, I can only remember the wonderful things about summer, especially May:  family, sun, beach, old friends, new friends, relaxation, etc. What I don't remember is some of the awful things that accompany those wonderful things, the chief being my own thoughts.


I have to be honest.  A lot of times, I just don't understand God.  I just don't. I don't understand sadness, loss, illness.  I don't understand purpose, occupation, college. I want to understand. But I don't.  But you know what? Paul didn't either:

Romans 11:33-36:
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him, that he might be repaid? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen.


Paul, after writing about the election of God in Romans 9-11 (which I still don't know where I stand on...still don't understand...and still get upset about), writes about how God's judgments are "unsearchable" and his ways are "inscrutable."  We can't comprehend Him, what He does, or how He judges. I have to accept that. I have to understand that God is love. God is good. God is faithful. He provides forgiveness. He provides steadfast love. He knows all. I don't.


I don't know all. But I do know that I can trust and hope in my faithful and trustworthy God:

Psalm 138:8 
The Lord will fulfill His purpose for me; your steadfast love, O Lord, endures forever. Do not forsake the work of your hands. 


Psalm 28:7
The Lord is my strength and my shield; in Him my heart trusts and I am helped; my heart exults and with my song I give thanks to Him.


What a good way to transition to my thankful list:
30. The beach
31. My sister :)
32. Sadness (Ecclesiastes 7:3 - Sorrow is better than laughter, for by sadness of face the heart is made glad.)
33. Summer classes (despite the fact that they will be a lot of work, I am thankful that I can take them :)
34. Dairy Queen Ice Cream

P.S. Please don't try to contact me or argue with my comment about the doctrine of election...That's not what this post was about, and honestly, I find no need to quarrel about it :) Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment