Thursday, May 17, 2012

By His Wounds

WEEEEEEEEEE

No, my high school experience was not the glamorous life enjoyed by the cast of High School Musical.  I didn't fall in love.  I didn't win the basketball state championship. I didn't participate in the school play. I didn't even have (for the most part) your typical high school drama. So, I guess on a scale of total loser to high school musical, my high school experience ranks closer to the "total loser" side.  You know what, though?  I am okay with that. Actually I'm thrilled by it because I made friends that will last a lifetime in high school. How thankful I am for them and that they gave me a different kind of high school experience! (#23)

Why all this reminiscing on high school? Well, I'm doing my Spanish education clinical hours at my old high school this week, so I'm experiencing it all again from a completely different perspective.  I've been able to catch up with old teachers, coaches and friends (#24) (and even go to a yummy summer cookout after #25).  I'm filling my life this week with everything that should be providing sufficient happiness.

Somehow, though, I'm left saddened. I see hurt. Pain. High school students, not much younger than me, reaching out - crying out - for love...in any way, shape, or form: satisfaction in grades, fulfillment in relationships, and contentment in approval from friends. Sometimes I find myself judging these people (even my classmates that are now in college...) for their actions - judging them for not living better - for not making the most of their potential. 

But the real reason? Without Christ, they don't have hope; there is no hope for something better.  They hurt so deeply that they run to anything to temporarily heal it. My good friend, Andrew Connell said something so simply true last night at Bible study that really hit me: 

"These people are walking around without Jesus."

My heart aches for them. I have been convicted by this verse lately: 

Romans 1:16 - For I am not ashamed of the Gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 

Do I live this? Or are they just words? Do I mean it? Do I show it with my actions. I think 9/10 times, I don't. I want to, though. Oh, how I want to.

Here are some extra joy-givers I am coming up with for the past couple of days! 

26. Young Life Bible Study & Lectio Devina (sp?) - a new way of talking about Scripture.
27. Softball games
28. Older, wiser Christians, like C.Rob & Mervine at Charter. They are so inspiring to me! I so look up to them.
29. God is the ultimate healer. (By His wounds we are healed. What a wonderful truth.)

Smile. 
Love.
Forgive.


No comments:

Post a Comment